Monday, February 1, 2016

I Can't Help Myself!

Photo Credit: Leland Francisco

Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we fail ourselves.  We give into our base natures and temptations.  We fall into the wanton arms of the forbidden and many times take deep pleasure in its embrace.  We find ourselves like Paul who says in Romans 7:15, “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.”  With each kiss, sniff, swallow, spoonful, or violent outburst, our sins wrap more and more chains around our bodies.  Our eyes become dimmer to the light and we begin to relish the darkness.  We seek the very things that are eating us from the inside out like a copious cancer.

At times, our sins are looming over us screaming like banshees making our heads thunder with every thought of our indiscretions.  Guilt suffocates us until we are aching and begging not to draw breath.  Our weaknesses can sometimes overthrow us.  Our addictions to food, drugs, sex, drama, or whatever vice that we secretly savor cripple us from walking in our divine purpose.  At these times, it is important to humble ourselves before God and ask for our hearts to be made right.  Jesus tells us in Mark 14:38 and Matt. 26:41 that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak so we must plead for forgiveness and be truthful about our short comings.  

God does not desire for us to walk around being bruised and beaten by guilt nor does God want us to give into things that will eventually destroy us.  God is a God of second, third, and fiftieth chances!  God wants us to grow stronger and to be better people.  We were created to be more than conquerors. True repentance and transformation is the way to conquer the things that make us weak. When we are able to face the mirror and look at ourselves in our true imperfect glory, this is when God gives us the ability to do better.  This is the first step to transformation. It is the first step to conquering the sins that enthrall us.  If we come to God and ask for a clean heart and a right spirit, God will not deny our request.  We will be strengthened by the Holy Spirit so that we will be able to walk away from the negative things that call to our vulnerable flesh. 

When I am overcome by my weaknesses, I find strength in Psalm 51.  It is a prayer of pure humility and an earnest pleading for forgiveness and redemption.  There is no greater prayer that a repentant heart can utter.  Psalm 51 helps me to center myself and to really prostrate my heart before God.  I realize that during praying this prayer that I am loved unconditionally and that no sin is too great to not be forgiven.  I also realize that I have power over sin, that I am the master of my own fate, and that I have to want God to help change my heart. I hope this prayer will help you find peace for your souls.  Remember to love hard and live free!    


Psalm 51
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
   blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
   and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,
   and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
   and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are justified in your sentence
   and blameless when you pass judgement.
5 Indeed, I was born guilty,
   a sinner when my mother conceived me.
6 You desire truth in the inward being;
   therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
   wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
   let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins,
   and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
   and put a new and right* spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from your presence,
   and do not take your holy spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
   and sustain in me a willing* spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
   and sinners will return to you.
14 Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,
   O God of my salvation,
   and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
   and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 For you have no delight in sacrifice;
   if I were to give a burnt-offering, you would not be pleased.
17 The sacrifice acceptable to God* is a broken spirit;
   a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
   rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
19 then you will delight in right sacrifices,
   in burnt-offerings and whole burnt-offerings;
   then bulls will be offered on your altar.
(NRSV) http://bible.oremus.org/

For more about Violette L. Meier, visit www.violettemeier.com

2 comments: